Sunday, February 28, 2010

Week One Over

It has definitely been one memorable weekend!

Sunday
The drywall guy finished in the basement today. I think it looks good, but no one else has seen it yet. My training for today consisted of a 1-2 hour hike, but I cut it to an hour and a half on the treadmill.

Saturday
While Justin was at the bike rally yesterday, I went for my long run. Earlier last week I rode out a 6-mile stretch. There's a 2-mile loop around our neighborhood, then it stretches out for a straight 4-mile run from our house to the school I teach at. My training is a 6.5 mile run, with 12 minute intervals and 2 minute walk breaks in between.

I started out and was able to run the 2-mile loop without any problems. I felt really good, so my mind decided I could run all the way to the school. My mind did get me to the school, but my body was a little upset. My mind didn't exactly tell my body that I would have a 4-mile stretch back home!!!

I walked a mile, then ran for another mile. With only two miles to go, I thought about taking a short cut. There's a road that goes right by our house that used to intersect with the highway. I thought I could take that route to cut out a mile and a half. So I walked the 1/2 mile off my route to realize that there is a fence blocking my way to cross the highway. So I had to walk back that 1/2 mile, then still walk the original 2 miles! So after running 7 miles and walking 4, I finally got home two hours after I started!!! Let's just say I was ready to lay down and not get up! Even though I only went 11 miles, which is 2.1 miles short of the 1/2 marathon, my body was not in shape for that little workout.

Friday
I wanted to leave Friday for the end, because it deserves the best story award! Friday morning Justin calls me at work and informs me that Brutus was almost eaten by a coyote that was in our backyard! Brutus was within yards of the coyote! Justin called the animal control and other places to ask what we need to do about our little visitor. The animal control said they are not allowed to do anything. The other place Justin called said if it comes toward us we can shoot it. Well we don't own a gun, and our house is in city limits.

When I got off work on Friday we went to our neighbors to warn them about the coyote. They told us they already knew there was a coyote, or two, out there.

Later that night Justin text one of his firemen buddies about the coyote. Within 20 minutes his buddy pulls in our driveway, with his headlights off, all dressed in black, and is holding a pair of night-vision goggles. So at 28 years old, my husband and his friend go into stealth mode and walk through the field behind our backyard using the night-vision goggles. Their intention was to only see the coyote, not harm it. About an hour later they come back into the house, disappointed. They claim they saw eyes, but weren't sure if they belonged to a coyote.

Now we keep a close eye on Brutus and we make sure our little marshmallow doesn't try to make friends with the coyote.

1 comment:

Tessa said...

We have been wondering about the coyote ever since we saw your post on FB. That is kind of scary!!

And, I think you are crazy! That was a LONG running/walking excursion.